Friday, August 27, 2010
Making Homemade Laundry Soap
To save money, my husband put up a clothesline for me and I've also been making my own laundry soap. The funny thing is a few years ago I thought it was kind of crazy to do that, but it's so simple and cheap! Why didn't I try this before!
Here's what you need:
washing soda (Arm & Hammer) - NOT baking soda
Borax (20 Mule Team)
Bar soap (I use Fels-Naptha Laundry soap, but plan to try some Dial Mountain Fresh scent)
You need a 5 gallon bucket with a lid.
Mix 1 cup soda and 1 cup borax with 3 gallons warm water in bucket and stir.
Bring to boil in large pot 4 cups of water. While water is heating up, grate the bar of soap and then slowly add soap pieces to boiling water and stir until all is melted.
You will end up with a pot of soapy water.
Pour soapy water into the bucket and stir over the next several hours.
Each time you go by the bucket give it a stir. It will be ready to use after 24 hours. Use 1 cup per large load.
If you don't believe how easy and cheap it is- give it a try! I won't say I told you so!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I have always wanted to try this, Where do you find the washing soda? It's not sold anywhere I usually shop.
ReplyDeleteI found it at Kroger. I think Walmart sells it, but am not sure. Try smaller grocery stores, too. We have Sunflower and I think they sell it, also. Hope you can find it.
ReplyDeleteYes~ I make this and I love it!
ReplyDeleteI like this recipe too. I am needing to make some more right now but I am out of borax so I need to make a trip to the store first.
ReplyDeleteI found this recipe first on the Simple Dollar.