Our homeschool group has a Girl's Club for 1st grade and up. Yesterday they learned how to sew. They made a little pin cushion. Kayla was so excited! I'd been wanting to show her some basic stitches and teach her a little handstitching, but I just hadn't taken the time. So many times I have lots of good intentions and never follow through with them.
I remembered that today in our homeschool lessons we were supposed to make a patchwork quilt. We've been studying the pioneers and the curriculum suggested making either a paper quilt or a simple doll quilt. I'd planned to go the easy route and make a paper quilt with them. :) I'm kind of spontaneous sometimes. So this morning I decided that we can do this little doll quilt. I went digging around in my fabric scraps and we got to work. First, we put Bethany for a nap and the others watched a little tv. Then we got busy and started cutting and sewing. Kayla does really well pinning fabric and sewing on the machine, especially considering she's only done it twice. She did some of the sewing and I did some. It was a joint project, but I hope she realizes there's a lot she can do now. She is a very excited 6 (almost 7) year old!
Before we even started, she said she wanted to make it a doll quilt for her little sister, Holly. It was well worth it to see her make something to share with her sister. You can tell Holly was proud of it! Kayla is very giving and I hope she continues to want to give to others.
It is the little things that matter to children. I realized today that things like this mean so much to them and I'm teaching her something that she can use for a lifetime. I pray that I take the time to do "small" things with my children more often.
On a side note: I can get very frustrated sewing. I tend to be very picky with my work and so I just never start or get finished with a project. I tried not to be that way with her and just let it be what it was. It didn't matter to her at all. It doesn't need to be perfect to please children. Showing them and working with them is what matters. I need to be reminded of that lesson more often. :)
Such a great job! Those are the moments that they will remember. I didn't even do a paper one (blush!). :-( Both Holly and Kayla have gotten so big and so very pretty! Love ya, my friend.
ReplyDelete