Pages

Monday, October 24, 2011

Don't Let Bread Take a Bite Out of Your Budget

Whether you have a large, medium or small family, you know that bread is expensive.






We eat a lot of bread around here: sandwiches, garlic bread, toast, rolls.

You name it we probably eat it.

I do whatever I can to lower the expense of bread. I own a bread machine, but haven't really used it much in several years. Well, except for making dough- mainly pizza dough. It's just nice to let the machine do it for me- lazy, I know.

We eat whole wheat bread as much as possible and well it's just not cheap. I am determined not to buy the sliced white stuff even though I'm so tempted when I see the cheaper prices.

**I used to always buy our favorite whole wheat bread when our local grocery store ran it 10/$10. I would buy 10-12 loaves and put it in the freezer. (It still tastes good even though it's not quite as good as fresh.) Then, when the sales would cycle back around I'd buy whatever I needed.

It worked great because I never had to spend much on bread. Well, I haven't seen those prices in a couple of years.

**Now I go to the bread store where they sell bread that is close to the expiration date. I freeze that, too. It's gone up in price though and it's over a dollar a loaf. It's still much cheaper than buying it at regular price.

**I frequent the deli clearance racks for marked down French and Italian loaves. Those also go in the freezer for future meals.

Buying bread without breaking the budget is possible with a little time and thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment