Pages

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Name Banner for Child's Room

My 9 year old daughter and I rearranged her room yesterday and I was noticing how blah the wall above her bed was looking. It just needed something to brighten it up a bit.

I'd seen these banners in pictures before and figured they were fairly simple, but had never really taken the time to figure it out.
Let me tell you how simple it was.
I made a triangle pattern out of freezer paper. I just cut out a shape- no measuring or anything. You can't get much easier than that. I guess if you're a perfectionist on measurements and all you could use a ruler, but I didn't.

The reason I like to use freezer paper is because you lay the shiny paper side down on the fabric and iron(on a low setting) and the pattern piece (freezer paper) adheres to the fabric. That makes it so easy to cut out- no pins! Then you simply peel off the freezer paper and you have a triangle shape. I made seven of these using 4 different colors.

***Just a note*** I used pinking sheers to cut out my triangles so I wouldn't have to sew them. Plus, I like the way it looks!
After cutting out your triangles, lay them out on the floor or table. Then, use the binding tape or ribbon to pin the triangles to form your pattern. I held it up on the wall after pinning just to check and see how it would look.
Sew each triangle to the binding tape. I used a zig-zag stictch.
Tie the ends in a bow or knot and hang on the wall.

I had some chipboard letters in my stash and thought they'd be extra cute on it. You could make the banner without the letters if you didn't have them. They just add to it a little bit.

I wasn't sure how to attach them, but I remembered that I had some spray adhesive. It worked great! I just sprayed the back of each letter and stuck it on. After it dried, I hung it up. Kayla loved it! I got an extra hug for it, too. I'll always take those :)

2 comments: